Monday, June 2, 2008

What happened?

I apologize to anyone who reads Zachary's blog who did not know what was going on with my dad. He was just a very private person, and I knew he would not want me to post anything about him on Zachary's blog, but for it to be joyful.

I think I always assumed my dad would be around forever. His parents both lived well into their 80's, and they were not exactly the most health-conscious people. So it came as a shock when my dad was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer this past December. He had not been feeling well for a while - by the time he went to get checked out, it was just too far advanced, having already spread to his liver. I would like to strongly urge anyone reading this to get your colonoscopies as soon as it is recommended by your doctor!

Dad underwent nine or so rounds of chemotherapy, but it just didn't work. On May 2nd, after two weeks in the hospital, Dad went home and entered hospice care, and on May 14th my beloved dad passed away. All three of us kids were there, along with my mom and Charles and Jaime. He is now free from pain, but I miss him terribly. That's about all I can say right now!

No comments: