
I just posted on Zach's blog about alumni band weekend. This was a pretty tough time for me, because I don't think I had ever marched in alumni band that Dad wasn't there. It was something we looked forward to every year - he loved it when we came roaring through the tunnel.
Well, it turns out that with the new stadium renovations the tunnel isn't really there the way it was before. Also they have moved us way up in the upper deck, so we ended up marching up 12 ramps to get to our seats. The drums kept the cadence going the whole time, so that was actually kind of cool. But it appears that we may never come roaring to the tunnel again. Maybe that's as it should be.
Last year Dad was at the game, and we had the craziest halftime ever. While we were on the field, there was a giant rainstorm. As we played the Eyes of Texas, it was pouring down rain on us. We made it through, and it was somehow very moving. That was Dad's last alumni band game, and it was the last time I would see him before we found out he was sick.
Anyway, this year we had beautiful weather. After our trek up the 12 ramps, we got to our seats up in the sky and the sun was still beating down. It was about 5:00 so we still had a couple of hours of daylight. But about 5 minutes after we sat down, a single cloud moved over the sun, and immediately we felt the relief. That cloud did not move for two hours. It stayed there, covering the sun, until it was just about to dip below the upper deck, which was also time for us to go down for halftime.
The girl next to me kept commenting on how nice it was to have the cloud there. I finally remarked, 'you're right, that is weird how that cloud is just sitting there'. She said 'I know! It is a gift! It's like someone is doing that for us!'
And I was just quiet. :)
Then we went down and did our halftime show and it was awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment